You need good work order software to organize, manage, and maintain data on projects. It’s also helpful to maintain and keep track of resources, expenses, and labor.
It can be challenging to find unique work order software that isn’t overly pricey or complex.
Fortunately for you, the best work order software will streamline your workflow by making it easier for facility managers, supervisors, and administrators to assign tasks.
The right work order software will do this using customizable task setups that clarify what needs to be done and when.
We’ve compiled a list of the seven best work order software options, making it easier for you to find the best software for your company’s needs.
The Top 7 Best Work Order Software
- UpKeep – Best for mobile optimization
- Limble CMMS – Best for mid-size businesses
- MaintainX – Best cloud-based all-in-one software
- Jobber – Best for field service processes
- ManagerPlus – Best for heavy equipment management
- ServiceMax Asset 360 – Best for small businesses
- FMX – Best for facility managers
All of the work order software in this guide offer great features that will help you keep track of everyday tasks and expenses.
#1 – UpKeep – Best Work Order Software For Mobile Optimization
- Excellent asset management solution that comes with seamless work order feature
- Automatically send push notifications to technicians
- Great for mobile work orders
- Comes with free plan
UpKeep is best known as an asset management solution that focuses on mobile optimization and syncing.
However, a work order feature is a seamless addition to the software, making it easy to prioritize and assign tasks.
UpKeep makes it easy to optimize your maintenance by reducing equipment downtime and increasing equipment lifespan.
The software also allows you to track time and costs within each work order by reviewing trends and insights to lower the cost of additional maintenance.
The greatest and most flexible aspect of UpKeep is the mobile work orders, which includes:
- The option to automatically send push notifications to technicians
- Attach PDFs of equipment manuals and instructions to work orders
- Include photos and videos on work orders
- Technicians can choose to complete work orders based on availability and location
- Discussions surrounding updates are easy
- Have technicians close out work orders upon completion
UpKeep offers four pricing plans, including:
- Community: Free and includes work order management
- Starter: $39 per month per user
- Professional: $60 per month per user
- Business Plus: $100 per month per user
You can also take a virtual tour of the software on Upkeep’s website.
#2 – Limble CMMS – Best Work Order Software For Midsize Businesses
- Centralized database for easy access on any device
- Get holistic view of task priorities and goals
- Intuitive time tracking tool
- Starts at $50 per user per month
If you own a mid-sized business and need a work order software that can help empower your maintenance team, Limble CMMS is an excellent option.
With a centralized database your team can access from any device, you can efficiently organize all your work orders with task priority and calendar options.
The Limble CMMS work order app combines power with ease, as you won’t need to waste time training technicians on how to use your software.
One great feature for medium-sized businesses is creating custom approval processes for both preventative maintenance and work requests. Customizing these processes saves your team time and keeps employees from having to track down the right people for approvals, and holds everyone accountable for their part.
Each work order is simple to navigate and provides clear instructions on tasks and PMs. Some helpful features include:
- Attach invoices to work orders
- Record time spent
- Track downtime
- Assign tasks to a team or single user
- Print details easily
Limble CMMS offers four pricing plans, including:
- Starter: $50 per month per user
- Professional: $80 per month per user
- Business Plus (recommended for mid-size businesses): $120 per month per user
- Enterprise: $205 per month per user
You can also do a 30-day free trial of the software before making a decision.
#3 – MaintainX – Best Cloud-Based All-In-One Work Order Software
- Cloud-based software ensures greater security
- Turbo boost productivity
- Optimized for desktop, iOS, Android, and iPad
- Test drive it for free with their demo
MaintainX is the best cloud-based all-in-one work order software, perfect for creating and monitoring reactive work orders.
Most users experience a 25% reduction in maintenance costs and a 40% increase in productivity after utilizing the MaintainX software.
With an intuitive interface, MaintainX is user-friendly and makes team training as easy as possible. You can craft each work order with customizable templates and form builders built into the software.
The software is excellent for property managers, facility managers, and asset managers, with outstanding features to benefit these roles, such as:
- Create recurring work orders that repeat on a shared calendar
- Store maintenance records
- Unlimited work orders for all paid plans
- Digital audit logs
- Optimized for desktop, iOS, Android, and iPad
- Real-time metrics
MaintainX is entirely cloud-based, so users can access it anywhere on any device, making it useful for field service management and larger teams.
MaintainX offers three pricing plans, including:
- Essential: $10 per month per user
- Premium: $39 per month per user
- Enterprise: $115 per month per user
You can watch a demo or try MaintainX for free on their site and save 17% by paying annually.
#4 – Jobber – Best Work Order Software For Field Service Processes
- Great for on-the-go field services
- Highly intuitive mobile app to keep everyone informed and up-to-date
- Integrated CRM that makes processes more efficient
- Comes with a 14-day free trial
If your business operates in field service, Jobber is an excellent option for specific field service processes.
With a focus on service businesses, Jobber helps teams operate, organize, and schedule operations from managing crews to invoicing customers.
For reasonable pricing that includes helpful features for teams, Jobber offers exceptional tools that allow you to work from anywhere.
Within a single dashboard, you can organize your operations with integrated CRM that will make your processes more efficient.
Jobber will help you offer more value to your customers with features like
- Automatic follow-ups
- Create branded professional quotes and send them by text message
- Real-time scheduling and dispatching
- Batch invoicing
- Mobile app
- Online booking for clients with their very own client hub
- Build custom checklists to share with your clients
Jobber offers three pricing plans with the Core plan starting at $34 per month for one user, the Connect plan at $97 per month for 7 users, and the Grow plan for $195 per month for up to 30 users.
You can try Jobber with a 14-day free trial. At the time of this writing, Jobber is offering 30% off your first three months when you sign up.
#5 – ManagerPlus – Best Work Order Software For Heavy Equipment Management
- Great for construction and heavy equipment businesses
- Handle heavy equipment with excess parts and materials
- Integrated inventory control that adjusts when work orders are closed
- Request a free demo to try it out
ManagerPlus is a great option that offers seamless work order management for heavy equipment and construction industries.
Data-rich work orders include everything your team will need to efficiently organize and manage your business, from digital manuals to instructions and checklists.
Construction industries that often handle heavy equipment with excess parts and materials need a software that can maintain this. Fortunately, ManagerPlus offers integrated inventory control you can automatically adjust when work orders are closed.
With ManagerPlus, you’ll benefit from core features like:
- Accurate and secure data accessible anywhere
- Automated reporting
- Intuitive interface
- Actionable insights
- Track costs, parts, and material
- Mobile app
ManagerPlus offers two pricing plans, including:
- Lightning Plus: $85 per month per user
- Lightning Experience: $125 per month per user
You can also request a free demo before purchasing ManagerPlus.
#6 – ServiceMax Asset 360 – Best Work Order Software For Small Businesses
- Good for startups, entrepreneurs, and small businesses
- Natively built on Salesforce Field Service platform
- Get a holistic picture of assets on the field
- Request a free demo
Similar to Jobber, ServiceMax Asset 360 offers field service management. The difference is this software is more optimized for small businesses.
ServiceMax combined with Salesforce and is the #1 CRM platform, with a solution that drives operational efficiency and work order management.
With preventative and proactive work order maintenance, your team can choose among a handful of different strategies to ensure zero unplanned downtime—with tools like time-based or condition-based maintenance.
Asset 360 is natively built on Salesforce Field Service, offering a truly 360-degree view of your assets out in the field. They strive to maximize your asset performance and monitoring to save small businesses time and money.
ServiceMax has some other prominent features, such as
- IoT (Internet of things) asset performance data and analytics
- Mobile technician app
- Asset 360 dispatcher console that schedules and shows upcoming appointments
- Contractor management
- Parts, returns, and depot repair
You can see a free demo, schedule a call to speak to a specialist, or sign up for a free webinar about the software on the ServiceMax website. ServiceMax does not have a free version or trial and does not publish its prices online. Contact ServiceMax for a quote.
#7 – FMX – Best Work Order Software For Facility Managers
- Great work order software for facility managers and supervisors
- Centralized hub for all your issue solve and labor tracking needs
- Improved communications flow between buildings
- Get a free quote or demo
Supervisors and asset managers often have the role of assigning work orders and tasks, but FMX changes the game with its software designed for experienced facility managers.
The software is perfect for streamlining maintenance, all while resolving issues and keeping track of labor and money spent.
With its centralized hub, your team can easily track and submit work and give insight into how all aspects of your business are performing—which is a great way to save time and automate routine processes.
FMX lets facility managers prioritize tasks based on need and customize the configuration of work order requests to ensure your team gets the specific information they need to get the job done.
Some benefits of the FMX work order software are:
- Customizable forms and workflows
- Improved communication by building occupants
- View work order status
- Create work orders from any device
- Maintenance calendar
- Start and stop labor tracking
You can do a free trial of FMX and get a free personalized quote on their website.
How to Find the Best Work Order Software For You
Now that you know what our top seven best work order software options are, it’s time for you to make a decision that aligns with your company’s needs. Below are the criteria we used to narrow down our top picks listed above. All you need to do is weigh up the criteria against your personal needs to make the right decision for your business.
Many work order software caters to different industries and business niches such as field service, construction, hospitality, or mining.
When comparing software, it’s paramount that you gauge what industry the work order software business serves. You wouldn’t want to invest in Jobber if you worked in construction when ManagerPlus would better suit your business structure. Work order software is not all equally suited to various industries.
Analyze your business industry and goals before shopping for software. You want a product that will fill every need you have, so make sure your investment is worth it by shopping for the right software.
All of our recommendations offer a mobile app or an option to sync your devices, and for good reason.
Especially today, when remote workers are highly sought-after and applicable to most business models, it’s crucial your software allows you to work from any location.
Mobile optimization will let you assign work orders, communicate with technicians, and attach photos and videos for convenience—from the comfort of your phone. Take UpKeep, for example, our top pick, because it has the most flexible mobile optimization of all the options.
Working with your phone doesn’t have to be overly complex or boring. It’s important to find software that offers mobile optimization or an app you can download and sync your data onto—we promise it’s much more convenient and saves time.
Just like most work order software caters to industry, it also caters to business size. In this guide, we looked at Limble CMMS and ServiceMax, where each software caters to different business sizes.
This is an important factor because of investment. You don’t want to spend more money than you should be by investing in more expensive software catering to a larger business model.
Because you have to pay per user with all the software listed above, you must know how many users you wish to include in your software. If you make the mistake of purchasing software meant for a larger business model with features you don’t need, you will be out of pocket for hundreds of dollars. Make sure you discuss with your team beforehand to figure out how many users will need access to the software.
Now that we’ve discussed the three most essential criteria for your final choice, there are a few additional features that would be ideal to have, including:
- Automated reporting
- Trackers for costs and labor
- Invoicing function
- Shared calendars
These additional features will come in handy and prove very helpful for time-saving and organization, so look out for these, too.
Our top recommendations for the best work order software are UpKeep and LimbleCMMS.
UpKeep is the most flexible software, with top quality mobile optimization and device syncing—making it super simple to work remotely. It is also the second-most affordable software on this list, so it’s perfect for the average business looking for some extra help.
Limble CMMS is an excellent software for mid-size businesses, which is the most common business size that relies on work order software. It’s not overly expensive and has a clean and organized interface for new users to navigate with ease.
These may be our two top recommendations, but the other five software options are great, too, especially for industry-specific needs. Use this guide as a resource when choosing the best work order software for your company.